St. Patrick's Day Green Velvet Cake
Adapted from Paula Deen
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup light buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 packages cream cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder and sugar. In a large bowl, gently beat the oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring. Then gradually add the dry ingredients until smooth and thoroughly combined.
3. Fill bundt pan with the batter. Bake for about 50 minutes. Test the cake with a toothpick. Remove and cool completely before frosting.
4. Frosting: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla on low speed until smooth. Then increase to high speed until very light and fluffy. Pipe the frosting on the cake or spread on with a spatula.